Posted to uk.d-i-y
whisky-dave whisky-dave is offline

Default new colours in three-core SWA cable

"Carl D" wrote in message
. theremailer.net...

I saw some "heatshrink sleeving" in assorted colours in B&Q, but
no instructions on the outside of the pack. Does anyone know how
much heat you need? A hair-dryer?

You can get heatshrink in at least two temperatures for shrinking.
I have used a hair-dryer, but I had to cup my hand over the air intake
to warm it up a bit, not too dangerous short term unless the mrs finds out
and hits you with it. Usually I use a soldering iron that's been removed
from
it's supply so the heat isn't at full heat ~300C as the shrink temperature
is about 80C
to 110C I think, and will probably shrink to half it's diameter.
If it's too hot the sleeving may melt or split.
A lighter or match can be OK with care as mentioned, some heatshrink is
non-flammable