John Paquay

Default Building Kitchen Cabinets

On 11 Nov 2003 11:02:09 -0800, (Ray Kinzler)
wrote:

I already ordered John Paquay's book--yesterday. Heck, I even had the
pipe dream that it may be in the mail when I got home!

Don't hold your breath -- you should have it Friday :-)
(Veteran's Day and all that...)

I have also
been out to his site and read a bunch of stuff several different
times. I tried out his suggestions in the "How to achieve an
incredible hand-rubbed oil finish." link and got an old cherry dresser
to come out smoother than a piece of glass. I must touch part of that
durn thing 10 times a day. It's just a shame that others don't
appreciate that and I have no idea why. Everybody in my life looks at
it, touches it, makes a face, and says, "Yeah. That is smooth, huh?"
Yoi!!!

A nice wood finish can make perverts of us all.

Should I
use that, what's it called, melemaine or somehting like that? How
does it hold screws? I would be afraid that it would be very easy to
strip the hole.

Depends on what the screw and hole are for. But melamine over
particleboard is a commonly used material, even if among the least
expensive available.

Would it maybe be a decent idea to use 3/4" plywood
and cover the inside with something like white formica?

This can be a worthwhile upgrade. But neither plywood nor Formica are
inexpensive, so consider whether they're really warranted. The Formica
will provide better wear resistance, but the added strength provided
by the plywood may or may not be warranted.

Sort of make
my own stuff but not use the stupid particle board? Maybe use MDF
covered with formica?

Another viable option, and worth considering.

Maybe simply do a little more research before I
start??

There you go.

John

John Paquay

"Building Your Own Kitchen Cabinets"
http://home.insightbb.com/~jpaquay/shop.html
With Glory and Passion No Longer in Fashion
The Hero Breaks His Blade. -- Kansas, The Pinnacle, 1975