Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT but someone here might know

Adrian wrote:
The Natural Philosopher gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

Despite all the naysayers I still reckon this idea has legs. Average
small car must develop 50hp +? Thats going to run a hell of a lot more
than any inverter ever could.

Not a 2CV.

30bhp.

AND certainly NOT running static with no airflow round the engine.

You'd be fine - the fan generates enough cooling whilst the engine's
static, assuming the oil cooler's kept properly cleaned.

I'd be more concerned by running it with just one wheel acting as a PTO -
that's going to put a lot of unusual load on the diff.

Buying (or making - a 2cv engine in a cradle with the flywheel driving a
pump directly...?) a cheap petrol generator seems like a much better plan
to me.

TBH a 'motor and prop on a pole' like they use in the far east sounds
the best of all.

But I take issue that a cars fan is enough to keep it cool at full power
or anything like it.

In fact on cheap cars, full power is often not catered for even with the
car at speed. Auxiliary fans are there to keep the engine cool at idle
when the car is stationary.

Which is why the whole idea is really impractical. You need to locate
the car securely, arrange auxiliary cooling, do something about the Diff
and locking three wheels wheel, and arrange a complex mechanical power
takeoff.

That's why we invented electricity. Its so much simpler.