Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default Wipedisk Question

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 12:14:36 -0400, WangoTango
wrote:

In article ,
says...

"WangoTango" wrote in message
k.net...
[snip]
What bugs me is what do to with a new drive that fails under warranty.
If you send it in for repair, you are sending your data off to some
anonymous guy in a repair center. The only really secure option is to
bite the bullet and physically destroy a new drive. If you don't think
that happens all that often, just google "Seagate 1TB drive failures".
I have two high end work stations running 4TB striped/mirrored RAID
arrays, and 2 new backup blank drives for swapping. Of those 12 1TB
drives 10 of them died within 3 months. What do you do? Send off
chunks of confidential customer and in house information to the repair
center or destroy the drive?

Jim

Were the 10 failed ones all Seagate?

Bob

Every f'in one of them.
All bought at the same time, all died within 3 months.
1TB Barracuda Interal Drives.
From what I read, firmware issues, so the data is still there.
Even more of a reason to NOT let them go.
I didn't lose any data, I am a stickler for backing up and I never had
more than one drive fail on a stripe at once, so I swapped the drives as
they failed and the array rebuilt on the fly.

Somebody (Dell?) offers an additional-cost option where you can get
warranty service without returning the HDD. Don't know how they work
it, whether it's honor system or they require you to somehow disable
the old HDD in some verifiable manner.