Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Good Lawn Mowers and Vacuum Cleaners

Larry Jaques chiseled into the graffiti:
On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 08:24:03 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

What, $300 a year for that kind of inefficiency?

Yeah but every day it cleans, it costs me less!

...until next year when it breaks and costs you an extra few hundred.

What a pessimist! Actually, one did break. It cost me
a phone call to have the replacement part sent under
warranty. All better now. (Note to self, don't scoot it
with your foot while it is running.)

No problems since then.

Billy Mays and I go 'way back. (Grin).

eGAD! What a confession.

See? I *can* still frighten the natives!

Q: How long does it take for a Roomba to clean every inch of a 10x10'
room? It takes 5 minutes with my vacuum, going both X and Y
directions for best cleaning.

About 20 minutes. Who cares?

Does it turn itself off after finishing, or do you consider it done in
20 and shut it down yourself? I'll bet the latter, and I'll bet
you're wrong about it.

You would lose that bet. Most of the time.
If you isolate it to one room, it will consistently find it's
charging base and automatically dock when it is finished cleaning.
It is a gas to watch it park.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS-rY...eature=related

You already knew I was easily amused though.

That's 20 minutes I get to spend designing stuff or fixing stuff
or making stuff! You know, Fun Stuff!

Plus, if I let it run for the entire hour, it cleans two more rooms.
Whats Not To Like!

Isn't that last sentence a question?

Hey, did you want proper punctuation in *this* newsgroup.

Heh. It's a little like nails on a chalkboard, ain't it?

Honestly, if I were Electrolux or Kirby right now, I'd be
chittin bricks.

Why? Won't they just come out with their own $8k model?

NOW WITH HIGH-TRACTION WHEELS AND FUZZY LOGIC!

I dunno. I really don't think they have the agility to
come up with a competing product.

Soon after the introduction of the Roomba, I think it
was Kirby that came out with a commercial featuring a
convincingly animated upright vacuum cleaner, shown
cleaning up a room by itself, handle flying in the breeze.

It was brutally honest, as ads go.

(...)

Yeah, where most animals run from the sound, that cat hops on. Hmm,
maybe it's both deaf and horny. That thing -has- to vibrate, huh?
That'd 'splain it.

Still, that first experience with the Roomba had to be fairly
traumatic for Mr. Kitty.

--Winston