Posted to alt.home.repair
bigtoe1340 bigtoe1340 is offline

Default Electrical panel upgrade

bigtoe1340 had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...de-389775-.htm
:

Veets wrote:

Hello,

My wife and I are purchasing a house that was built around 1952. It
has
two 60 amp circuit breakers that we want to upgrade. The sellers have
central AC and I guess the 120 worked for them but we want to upgrade
the
panel to 240. Do we need to also change the internal wiring in the
house?
i.e. the wiring to the receptacles, ceiling lights, etc.?

Thank you,
Vito

-------------------------------------

Delivered via
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/
Web
and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup -
alt.home.repair - 369730 messages
and counting!

-------------------------------------

Do to the age of the home you might want to change the internal wiring.
Many homes built in this area did not have a grounding wire included in
their wiring. As far as the new main service panel goes you most likely
need a 200-amp 120/240-volt single-phase panel. If it is outside make sure
it is rated for outdoors. You will probably have to add new grounding for
the panel itself. This will include ground rods, a bond to the cold water
pipe and also to the gas meter. As a professional electrician in Phoenix I
would highly recommend hiring a skilled professional in your area to do
the work for you.
Tony Dolce
Meade Electric
http://www.meadeelectric.biz/An_Elec...l_For_You.html