Posted to alt.home.repair
BillGill BillGill is offline

Default Electrical panel upgrade

Veets wrote:
Hello,

My wife and I are purchasing a house that was built around 1952. It has
two 60 amp circuit breakers that we want to upgrade. The sellers have
central AC and I guess the 120 worked for them but we want to upgrade the
panel to 240. Do we need to also change the internal wiring in the house?
i.e. the wiring to the receptacles, ceiling lights, etc.?

Thank you,
Vito

-------------------------------------

Just to echo HeyBub, no you don't have to have the outlets
replaced, although you might want to check if you have grounded
outlets. That is a whole different story.

But if you just get the panels replaced the electrician will
just extend the existing circuits from the current box(es) to
the new box and put all the breakers in one box.

If the existing box(es) are mounted in a closet or other
enclosed space a new box will have to be mounted someplace
where there will be no impediments to access. There has to be
a 3 foot clearance in front of the box. So it may wind up on
an outside wall, probably near the current meter location.

Bill