Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A caution -Rubber Wood Furniture from the Far East.

Jules wrote:
On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 08:30:59 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

In message
, NT
writes
On Aug 18, 12:16 am, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Just something to watch out for when buying commercial furniture
nowadays.

I noted that a bed purchased from John Lewis recently was manufactured
in Vietnam.

When we were looking for a dining table and coffee table last year it was
extremely hard to find anything that had either been a) made locally or
b) made with any kind of underlying quality.

I suspect that to all intents and purposes well-built furniture is a thing
of the past; it doesn't matter (for the majority of mere mortals) how much
money is thrown at the problem - it's still stuff that looks nice but
doesn't last.

You just have to know where to look. Bags of incredible quality oak
stuff made in west of england and wales..and in fact all over

Hines of oxford is woryth a visit..always.

We spent a small fortune on tables, they're still made in Vietnam, and
they're full of joints that I can see will need attention in only a few
years (and in fact I've already had to tighten the legs on the coffee
table once in less than a year).

Spend a larger fortune and get something excellent. A good dining table
in oak or mahogany (or whatever the sustainable alternative is these
days) is over a grand. Mebbe £2k-£3k

There are loads of US crafsmen as well American white oak is a fine
wood, and its plentiful.

e.g. http://www.americanoakcreations.com/