Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default OT but someone here might know

"Jules" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 23:29:06 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

It happens that Dave Plowman (News) formulated :
In article ,
Bob Minchin wrote:
Years ago, there was a prototype electrical generator shown on TV -
possibly Tomorrow's World etc.

It was a low ramp on which one wheel of a vehicle was driven and
parked.
In the ramp was a pair of rollers driving a generator. The other
vehicle
wheels were chocked. With the car in gear and at tickover speeds a
useful amount of power was generated.
I seem to recall the demonstration was a farmer going out to repair a
gateway and being able to run an electric drill to assist the repair.

Does anyone know if this was ever taken to a commercial product and
have
any references to it?

I have an application where something like this would be a possible
solution.

These days most car alternators produce a lot of amps - so an inverter
would be a cheaper solution. And more efficient. Most modern cars will
alter the idle speed to cope with the extra load.

The well would likely need to have the pump lowered down into it,
because most efficient types of pumps are not able to create enough
vacuum to draw the water up to them

Ours is 80' deep or so, with the pump at the top, but it needs to be
primed with water before it'll work (i.e. a well in the bore-hole sense,
rather than wide brickwork medieval shaft).

The pump can't be at the top, you can only raise water by 32 feet using a
vacuum.
The pump must be at the bottom where it can apply pressure to raise the
water by more than 32 feet.

I've never had to prime it myself, so I'm not sure exactly how much water
it needs - although the folks next door have a similar setup and said
that they once primed theirs with "a few" buckets full of water from the
next folk down, so it can't typically be *that* much (i.e. so if that's
what the OP has then it'd be possible to transportable enough priming
water to the site via a vehicle)

One day I might read the manual to see exactly how it all works ;-)
There's two pipes, so I assume forcing water down to the well base somehow
pressurises things and forces more water up the main bore to the top, so
some such voodoo.

Maybe you inflate a bladder at the bottom and force the water up?