Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A caution -Rubber Wood Furniture from the Far East.

In article ,
Rob G writes:
One thing I hadn't realised until recently with rubber wood is that it
is near enough the ultimate in recycling as the rubber trees have a
finite life cycle producing latex and previously were presumably burnt
when their productivity fell off. So the material for our beds etc is
effectively a by-product.

I think it's a wonderful timber.
Similar colour to fresh cut pine (which I've
always liked) but doesn't go yellow, and is a
hardwood to boot. I just wish I could walk
into Wickes or similar and buy lengths of it.

I spent some time keeping an eye out for a
rubberwood coffee table (which I eventually
found), but when asking in furniture shops,
you get a really dirty look, as though you were
asking for a chipboard coffee table. OK, I know
a lot of rubberwood is wrecked by very poor
quality machining in the 3rd world, but when it's
done properly, I think it makes very good looking
furniture.

--
Andrew Gabriel