Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Ever get ill after using a line-trimmer?

On 2009-08-17, aemeijers wrote:
Sounds like that is part of your problem. Might I suggest going retro,
and getting yourself a scythe or sickle to keep up there, and doing the
initial clearing by hand? Chop it low, and use a pitchfork and scoop
shovel like giant salad tongs, to gather it up?

I *did* have a machete with me on these recent trips, but with a blade
that short, you have to do a lot of bending over to reach things.

I'm thinking about getting one of those brush blades next time I'm at
HomeDepot.

I don't think they carry scythes.

I'm probably remembering the names wrong. Kinda like Death carries in
all the cartoons, but with a curving handle to save your back. I've even
seen them with arms sticking out of the handle, to catch the tall stuff
as you cut it, so you can continue the swinging motion, and move it all
behind you as you go. Like the things they used to have chain gangs use
to clear weeds in road ditches.

I agree about machetes. They look cool in old movies, but in real life,
after ten minutes, you are sore all over. (Unless that is what you do
for a living every day, of course.)

A farm store may have better selection of tools like that than HD or
Lowes. Leastways the handles will probably be longer.

(Googles). Didn't find scythes, but several places had the golf-club
looking things I used as a kid, with the long razor-sharp blade sticking
out. Handles are always absurdly short on those for some reason- only
40" or so. I suppose you could always fit a longer handle. Here is an
example.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/lawn-ga...rimmer-4429395

--
aem sends...