Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob La Londe Bob La Londe is offline

Default Good Lawn Mowers

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 16:54:21 -0500, Pete C. wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:

The Lawnmower That Refuses To Die is starting to show rust holes in the
deck! Yay! We can ditch it! (we've had this thing for 18 years; for
about 16 of that it's been too hard to start for SWMBO, so I've been
doing a lot of the mowing).

Now we live on a place that has a significant amount of grass on a
20-30 degree slope. It's too steep for our narrow-tread tractor (at
least _I_ don't have the balls to go driving on it!), and the area is
pretty sizable. I'm assuming that we want to get a self-propelled
mower instead of a riding, because of the slope.

Anyone have any mileage with a largish self-propelled mower that works
good on slopes? I'm looking for something that'll bag, but being able
to take off the bag and just fling the grass when I'm opening up new
territory would be nice.

--
www.wescottdesign.com

Did y'all post to the wrong group? This is rec.crafts.metalworking, here
we just weld or pop rivet patches on the holes in our mower decks and
keep on going...

Well, after I toss the rest of the mower I'm going to keep the engine for
aluminum casting stock -- does that count?

Besides, y'all are a smart group, and likely to select a mower for it's
ability to manfully cling to side hill, not 'cause it's a pretty shade of
green, or because you liked the sales guy's long lashes as he explained
the self-start feature.

Well, I aint got no stinking lawn, but I got a mower. 33 HP John Deere
Diesel with a King Kutter stump jumper. I reckon it ain't gonna pretty-efiy
yer lawn, but it will cut just about anything. Even a contractor grade
rubber water hose somebody left out front before the brush got to thick to
find it. I gotta admit it did bog down a little when it found the garden
hose for me. But it kept going. The next pass for the rest of the hose
also found a 6" fallen branch laying over it, and now I know what real world
use there is for field grade bolts. They use a grade 2 field bolt as a
shear pin at the input portion of the drive assembly on the stump jumper.

After I put in s stock of field grade bolts I experiemented a little. It
would chop up that log or the hose just fine, but sucking up both at once
was just too much for it.

So, yeah some of us select our mowers for toughness and longevity... AND
there is even some metal content in my post. So there.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com