Posted to alt.home.repair
ShadowTek[_2_] ShadowTek[_2_] is offline

Default Ever get ill after using a line-trimmer?

On 2009-08-17, E Z Peaces wrote:

I can't imagine having the line on a string trimmer tangle up. In
waist-high grass, I'll make my first pass high because the mass of
resilient vegetation down low would bog down a string trimmer.

I'm wasn't really cutting "grass", more like large stalky weeds.

I wouldn't attempt head-high stuff with string because I'd expect some
weeds that tall to be tough enough to cause splitting in the .090 line I
use.

For stuff that tall I have a disk with 3 replaceable nylon blades a
little like propellers for model airplanes. They'll cut anything short
of wood. Nothing bogs them down. The trimmer is more controllable than
with string because cutting doesn't cause a pull. My clothes stay
neater because they don't throw debris as much as string. Presumably
they would throw less pollen into the air than would string.

I saw those things in a catalog and wondered about their performance.

I guess I should get some and keep them for over-grown jobs like that.