Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default waterbed mattress

On Aug 17, 9:15*am, Michael B wrote:
Ya know, those can be patched.
I had one that started leaking at a corner, used a large patch
to completely cover the corner, never had a problem from it again.
After fixing it, I first used air to verify the patch job. Still using
it
after 31 years.
BTW, I have a layer of the faced Styrofoam under it and alongside,
the stuff you use under vinyl siding. That way it doesn't warm the
contents of the drawers underneath, and make the heater keep
going so much.
And I put my heater rather close to the side so that if I have to
replace it, I don't have to drain the bed. There isn't anything
magical about it being centered, other than the trouble involved
with replacing it.

On Aug 17, 8:42*am, Phisherman wrote:

My waterbed mattress has finally sprung a leak after 22 years of use.
It was made in Canada and high quality. * Now I'm confused which brand
is a good one or which ones to avoid. *I like semi-wave for a
hard-sided waterbed frame. * Is Strobel a good brand? *Legacy Ruby?
S-Series? * I am leaning toward the brand with the longest warranty
and vinyl mil thickness because I have no other comparison study. *It
looks like many are made in the USA but I'm not convinced about
quality.

Yeah I used to have to replace my heater about every 3 or 4 years
before decided to insulate the bed. Downside was that my wife could no
longer pull warm sweaters out of the drawers.

Jimmie