Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

Default Newsgroup death spiral

WangoTango wrote:
says...
WangoTango wrote:
I agree, the way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if they
don't drop the USENET service all together. They may still archive
posts, but I'm sure the constant stream of spamming complaints will
eventually take it toll.

Google just ignore complaints.

Oh, no doubt, but someone has to do the ignoring and eventually that
will get old too. Just the energy needed to wade through and delete
the complaints will eventually take a toll and I doubt Google will
hang in there for the long haul.

But Google has deep pockets and long-term views of their place
in the information universe. They were able to spend 100s of
millions of $$$ to get several other business centers up and
running (and household names) before ever turning a profit.
They could easily kill off Usenet either by intent or simply by
benign neglect of their negative influence on it.