Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Making screws from soft metal

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 12:17:03 -0400, Spehro Pefhany wrote:

What would be my best bet for getting a relatively small quantity
(current requirement is 100 pieces) of machine screws (a couple of
sizes, like 6-32) made from 0.25" dia. metal rod. The material (Nb) is
soft like copper and generally nasty to machine. I'd like a Torx or
similar head so it's not as easy to screw up as a slot.

Ideas? Real screw-making machines - heading and thread forming- look
like a bit much for the purpose (thousands of pounds and many HP).

AFAIK, anything but a slot means a forming or broaching operation, and
may push you into a screw machine.

Other than that, for 100ea it could probably be done on an NC lathe by
any competent prototype/small-run machine shop, if they were willing to
mess with the material. For a genuine 100, with soft material, you may
be able to form the top with a hand-made die and a mallet, but you'd
probably spend a lot of time dinking with the process before it worked.

Off the wall -- could they be cast with a simple die, as nylon screws are?

Why are you having screws made from depleted uranium, anyway? (:-)

--
www.wescottdesign.com