Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad
ian field[_2_] ian field[_2_] is offline

Default Wipedisk Question

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 11:41:24 -0400, WangoTango
wrote:

What bugs me is what do to with a new drive that fails under warranty.
If you send it in for repair, you are sending your data off to some
anonymous guy in a repair center. The only really secure option is to
bite the bullet and physically destroy a new drive. If you don't think
that happens all that often, just google "Seagate 1TB drive failures".
I have two high end work stations running 4TB striped/mirrored RAID
arrays, and 2 new backup blank drives for swapping. Of those 12 1TB
drives 10 of them died within 3 months. What do you do? Send off
chunks of confidential customer and in house information to the repair
center or destroy the drive?

Jim

Once it has confidential info on it, I NEVER willingly allow a hard
drive to leave my control. Period. I still have at least one 40M
drive in locked storage (that's 40M, not 40G!).

Why waste space in locked storage for a 40M drive?!

Just run it through a few times with a 3/8" bit in a pillar drill and then
bin it.