Posted to alt.home.repair
joevan joevan is offline

Default How do you bend wood when making a laminate?

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 05:07:19 -0400, Bewet Miller
wrote:

I don't think I phrased the SUBJECT very well so pardon me on that.

I'm trying to fabricate a broken piece on a chair. It appears to be
made from 5 or 6 layers of thin oak that are laminated together and
bent at a near 90 degree angle.

I've been pretty successful in the small amount of work I've done
(very small) with laminating thin strips of wood so this must not be a
difficult thing to do.
My problem is how to make the wood more flexible
Do you soak it in water? Boil it? Pray over it?
And while I've made a form to help it hold its shape I'm not sure of
the steps involved.

It would seem that I'd make the wood bendable, place my glue, layer
the pieces, then apply my clamps. Is this right?

It would make more sense then making the piece of laminate and then
trying to bend it and that is why I'm asking.
When things seem perfectly reasonable, and I never had a doubt, I
usually bunk it up.

Any help on this subject, thoughts, opinions or the like are welcomed.
Off topic replies (Laminate sucks! or Dude! Your killing trees when
you cut wood) or flames will be fwd'ed to my M-I-L (note that is M-I-L
not MILF ).

Thanks
Bmiller

I remember seeing steam cabinets at boat building yards for steaming
the planks so they could be bent for the hull etc.