Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Booster pump for backwash cycle of whole-house filter

On Aug 16, 8:23*am, JIMMIE wrote:
On Aug 14, 11:17*pm, "scorpionleather" wrote:

My brother in Vermont bought this nice Crystal Quest CQE-WH-01202
whole-house filter (iron/sulfur/manganese, see link below) but we're not
sure about whether he has enough water pressure for the backwash cycle and
what to do about it. *I'd like to solve this before I fly down there next
week to help him hook up the plumbing connections.

The product page says proper backwash needs at least 14gpm. *I had him do a
bucket test and he gets only 3gpm when measured from a higher floor bath.

Is there some typically some adjustment on his existing pump for the water
pressure (I'm not familiar with well systems) and if so, why would it not be
turned to max already? *Can we just install one of those water pressure
booster pumps that have the little attached tanks that sell for around $500?
Or would we also need to install a much larger water tank to go with the
booster pump? *Did we get into a complex job or is this just a matter of
getting a couple more straightforward parts to complete the system?

He really wants the CQE-WH-01202 filter that he had shipped to his house.
He doesn't want a lesser capable unit even if it needs less backwash
pressure. *So we'll try to get this one working..

http://crystalquest.com/Manganese,%2...ogen%20Sulfide...

An upper floor bathroom is the wrong place to measure the flow rate.
You are going to lose about three PSI of pressure just from being on
the second floor. I would check it first at the well. If you don't
have it there you want have it anywhere. Then check it at the filter.
If you don't have it at the filter,assuming you had it at the pump,
you will probably have to use larger pipe between the pump and filter
or move the filter closer to the pump.

Jimmie

BTW you will want to google well flow rate to find out how to do it
right.
It is more complicated than it may seem because you also have to
determine how fast your pump can replace the water not just how fast
you can get a gallon of water out of the pressure tank.

Jimmie