Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default tool post opinion please

On 2009-08-16, doc wrote:
On 2009-08-12, doc wrote:

Ah... Here we go again. YAFP. (Yet another freaking project! :-))

After thinking about what Don had to say and checking out measurements
and such,
it looks like I'm going to have to make one that fits.

I really like the Dicksons. Got one that I use on a 12" lathe and a
knockoff
that I use on a 9.

But I don't think I will be able to find anything small enough to fit
on my C5.

There's a list of sizes he
http://www.lathes.co.uk/latheparts/page13.html

The smallest, S.00, looks to be almost 1-1/2 times too big.

Actually -- the S.00 is very close to the size of the EMCO
marked one on my Compact-5/CNC. I measure 57 mm L x 40 mm A dimensions,
bearing in mind that mine has only two stations (turning and
boring/facing) not the third right-hand facing one for turning at the
tailstock end of the workpiece. And, that is on stop of an extra steel
plate on top of the cross slide which is probably something like 12mm
thick. (I did not remember to measure it when I was down in the shop
taking quick measurements.

Note that the Emco design uses Allen head cap screws to lick in
the tool shanks, instead of the square heads shown in the photo at the
top of your URL.

So -- I think that the chances are that the S.00 size may well
work for you -- if you can't find a set with the EMCO marking on eBay or
somewhere else.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564