Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default WTF with my computer clock?

On 8/16/2009 6:52 AM Meat Plow spake thus:

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 14:56:05 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

Hope I'm not belaboring the point here. I just ran "net time" again
and got the error message "Could not locate a time-server". So I
assume that even if that process is running on my computer, as
someone else here asserted, it's not doing anything to my RTC, as
there are no time-servers to query (that it knows about).
Therefore, the time my computer displays is the actual RTC value.
Therefore, it seems to be at least as accurate as you've stated
(about a minute a month), which actually seems pretty damn good to
me. If it gets off by 12 minutes a year, resetting the thing once
annually would yield a clock that should be close enough for most
folks' purposes.

You have to set net time up before you can use it.

Well, duh; that was kinda my point.

So I take it you don't disagree with what I said, or have nothing else
to add?