Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default OT-ObamaCare and Seniors

F. George McDuffee wrote:

Putting money away is never a bad choice. Living like tomorrow will never have a cloudy
day like many in America is part of our problem. No matter how bad you think you have it,
someone else is doing worse. We are not a nation of savers because we have been groomed
to be a nation of consumers and expect government to provide for any emergency caused by
poor planning on our part.

Indeed it is not and as Ben Franklin is said to have observed
"three true friends are an old wife, and old dog, and ready
money." The problem is how do you put "money" away? As
indicated, much of the "assets" in which people "invested"
[stocks, bonds, real estate] turned out to be some version of
"magic beans" of no value, and the interest on cash savings is
far below the rate of inflation + tax effect. Indeed, even if
you put your money under the mattress, you still lose.

I like the Ben Franklin quote!

As to investing, gold, guns and ammo?

Of course FDR made gold illegal and if our current leftist leaders could they would make
guns and ammo illegal.

Even people that were very cautious about their housing have
gotten trapped when that bubble burst. Not so much that they
overextend themselves on the size of the loans/house, but rather
that their employment disappeared.

We are not owed an uneventful life.

No, but we are owed honest dealing.

We can hope but to get that we have to elect honest politicians to create honest law.

Sadly too many voters vote for pols that say they can get things for them by taking it off
of others. When voters are thieves, they elect thieves.

Wes