Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco spaco is offline

Default Pneumatic planishing hammer

Planishing isn't the same as sinking. Do you have some experience using
a planishing hammer for the actual shaping? My take on planishing
(which I do my hand) is that it's for smoothing out the dents left from
sinking.

Pete Stanaitis

PS I just bought one of the $20 HF models discussed in an earlier
reply. I hadn't even thought of using it as designed; I bought it for
the foot control. Maybe I should give it a shot.

SteveB wrote:
Northern Tools has one for $189. I was thinking of getting one for yard art
that I wanted to make rounded, like ladybug bodies and geckos. God I hate
those little ****ers since Geico's oversaturation of the airwaves with them,
and his faggotty English accent.

Anyway, anyone use these? Do the air parts last? Is there a cheaper more
reliable mechanical substitute that's easy to use for and old fart? Could
one build one that worked on the gold stamp principle that just uses gravity
mainly?

Steve