Posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
Michael B Michael B is offline

Default Propane-powered Mosquito Traps: What's the deal? Do they work?

On Aug 15, 10:45*am, Yard Guy wrote:
I remember seeing these propane-powered mosquito traps at local big-box
hardware stores a few years ago, but I don't think I've seen any of them
lately.

What's the verdict on these things? *Are they effective?

If you are going to have a party, toss pieces of dry ice into a ditch
a few hundred feet away. They go for the carbon dioxide in your
breath,
the dry ice provides plenty of that, makes them head for the source.

Some have good luck with the traps, some don't. And there are some
possible reasons for the disparity. For one thing, wind direction. If
there
is a very gentle air movement sending the machine's attractant, but
the
mosquitoes heading for it find you before they get to it, you would
be
saying that it isn't doing the job. But if the neighbors on both sides
of
you use them, you would be saying you don't need one.

Most anything that makes carbon dioxide can serve as an attractant,
even the family dog. If you decide to get a device, be sure to decide
where your prevailing winds come from, and if wind speed is 3 miles
an hour or more, turn the unit off to save gas.

Also, consider taking 100mg. Vitamin B before you're going to be in
the yard, especially during the evening. And Avon Skin-So-Soft might
not be a bad idea, either. Neither are going to hurt, might help.