Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Central Vac silencer

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

"Robert Green" wrote in message
I am going to make some preliminary and crude sound measurements

wrapping
in
a different material to see if any has particularly good sound deadening
properties. Anything I am missing? What sort of materials (I was

thinking
3/4" ply and that bumpy acoustic foam) should I use?

I would use lead. You can get thin sheet lead in 1/32" that you can wrap
around the noisy box and kill all of the sound.

But it would make Superman suspicious and we all know how he loves to crash
through cinder block walls when making an entrance. Good idea, but high
risk.

I never thought of lead as absorbing sound waves, but it absorbs other waves
quite well. I might look into acquiring a used X-ray apron. I'll bet that
deadens sound and a torn up one could be had for cheap with a little
searching. Thanks for the input.

--
Bobby G.