Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cordless drill

Bolted wrote:
On 15 Aug, 08:53, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Bolted wrote:
One of the problems with Makita is they will build anything to meet
a price level. Or should I say that one of their geniuses is doing
so without apparently denting their brand reputation too much. I
guess that means they are good at it.

The main way they achieve these prices is to supply 1.3a/hr NiCd
batteries, the red ones.

That's one way, as is the intelligence or stupidity of the charger,
and as you mention crappy chucks are another obvious sign.

The chargers Makita supply with the cheap deals are actually very good - I
suspect they don't have a cheaper charger, so they throw it in with the
deal.

The
gearboxes are another, as is the motor, and the [fill in the list].

Dunno about that, all I can say is that the Mak cordless I have deliver
plenty of welly. My view is that Makita punch well above their weight.

It's a brand name. A very flexible one. Mak hasn't lost as much
credibility as DeFault, but it is playing a similar game. I agree
that they are a better bet than any no-name clone crap, but to suggest
that a set they do is the bargain of the etc, is likely to over-state
the real position, which is that it was built to that price in the
first place (albeit maybe pretty much as well as can be done, unlike
others.)

See what you mean. I think that the Makita stuff with the red NiCd's was at
one time marketed as Maktech, but that name was dropped.

Having said that, a 14.4v combi & a 14.4v driver with 2 x 1.3a/hr batteries
& and a Makita charger for £80 has to be a 'kin good deal for DIY use.
Similar has served me well for 3+ years of heavy trade use.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk