Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bolted[_3_] Bolted[_3_] is offline

Default Cordless drill

On 15 Aug, 08:53, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Bolted wrote:
One of the problems with Makita is they will build anything to meet a
price level. *Or should I say that one of their geniuses is doing so
without apparently denting their brand reputation too much. *I guess
that means they are good at it.

The main way they achieve these prices is to supply 1.3a/hr NiCd batteries,
the red ones.

That's one way, as is the intelligence or stupidity of the charger,
and as you mention crappy chucks are another obvious sign. The
gearboxes are another, as is the motor, and the [fill in the list].
It's a brand name. A very flexible one. Mak hasn't lost as much
credibility as DeFault, but it is playing a similar game. I agree
that they are a better bet than any no-name clone crap, but to suggest
that a set they do is the bargain of the etc, is likely to over-state
the real position, which is that it was built to that price in the
first place (albeit maybe pretty much as well as can be done, unlike
others.)