Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default is it safe to dim a receptacle?

On Aug 13, 10:49*pm, wrote:
On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 18:49:01 -0700 (PDT), ben
wrote:

I have some lights in a rough space that are plug-in lights. *To power
them, last year I wired up a duplex receptacle high up by the
ceiling. *Power to that outlet is controlled by a single pole switch
at regular height.

Here's my question: is it ok to replace that switch with a dimmer?
Nothing else would ever be plugged into the outlet. *You can't even
reach it without an 8' ladder.

It's not legal but I have one like that
Come and get me copper!
I do have a label on the cover so I won't forget.

I used to have a couple of outlets like that too. They were outlets on
a mantel that had a couple of small lamps pluged into them. During the
holidays they had Christmas lights connected to them. They were also
wired into a 3 way switch that allowed either the overhead light or
the lamps to be on but not both. The house was wired like that when I
moved in.

Jimmie