Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Staining my old desk

"Goog" wrote

I apologize for not providing enough info. I'm new to home repair.

Thats ok! We all were at some stage and most of us know only some aspects,
not all.

1. The brand of the stain is Minwax (yellow can) from Home Depot.
2. It's oil base.

I've not used the brand but my husband has. He says it will be tacky for
about a week then solidly dry. Just let it be for now is what he says.
Anything else you do now, will muck it up.

3. I lightly sanded the old desk before applied the new stain.

This may be related to it. Don and I normally take it down totally to bare
wood unless we want a slightly 'distressed look' to an old solid piece (in
shich case a few minor bits of the old stain at the hard to reach spots
works well).

4. I used a rag to apply the stain but didn't wipe it out real real
dry.

Same here but used brush with thin coats (2).

5. The desk is inside my condo and the temp is set at 78 degree.

If you can set it outside without mucking up the finish, it will dry faster
but it's not hurting anything where it is. I'd leave it be for a week.

I saw Home Depot sells some type of polyurethane (water based) and it
said "quick dry".

Relatively. Do not add this now, wait for the stain to hard seal.

1. Should I go ahead and apply the clear coat on (even the wood is
still a little wet).
2. Or should I wait until it dries out completely completely before
put the clear coat on?

Wait til it dries totally.