Posted to sci.electronics.repair
robb robb is offline

Default fix magnet distortion on TV/CRT screen ?

"Dave Platt" wrote in message
i know not really electronic repair but i could find no other
suitable group.

I have two big color spots/circles (3" diameter) on the

TV/CRT
with a big bright stripe between the two spots put there by a
3/4" x 3/4" cylinder (? hematite ? it is strong ?) type

magnet,
the cylinder version of these

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MT%2DM

is there a best way to repair ? how ?

Google for "CRT degaussing".

If you're lucky, proper application of a degaussing coil will

remove
the residual magnetization which has been left in the CRT's

shadow
mask/lines by the small magnets, and will restore proper color

on the
screen.

If you are *un*lucky, the little magnets are so strong that

they
actually attracted and bent the shadow mask/wires when they

were held
up to the front of the CRT. If this has happened, degaussing

probably
won't eliminate the discoloration - I don't know of a remedy

other
than replacing the CRT itself.

--
Dave Platt

AE6EO
Friends of Jade Warrior home page:

http://www.radagast.org/jade-warrior
I do _not_ wish to receive unsolicited commercial email, and

I will
boycott any company which has the gall to send me such

Thanks Dave,

That seems to be what possibly happened. The degausing part
seemed to help some of the problem but the rest was remedied (?
perhaps luckily ?) by waving the original magnet diagonally
across the screen and problem area.

Thanks again.
robb