Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default CONCRETE ADVICE NEEDED

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 22:26:18 -0700, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 14:09:58 -0500, "justme"
wrote:

Ok, Lawrence.

I will check to see how much a rental saw will be.

I am considering cutting the concrete as a last resort.

I appreciate your input.

j/b

If you try tunneling a hole under the pool deck or sidewalk from the
outside, plan on replacing the entire slab in a few months anyway. It
will sag, and it will crack, and in totally random patterns.

There is no way to get the compaction of the fill dirt right when
you backfill the hole - short of filling the whole thing in with "One
Sack Slurry" or "Two Sack Slurry"which is (as it sounds) a varying
strength concrete and sand mix.

And even then, if you get any voids in the backfill it's going to
settle and break.

And if you backfill with a cement sand slurry you will play hell
getting to that pipe again next time. Think 'encased in sandstone.'

Can't win for losing anyway... Murphy's Law says that the dirt
/around/ the area you patched will settle differently than that big
block of concrete you poured, and the pipe breaks at the parting line.

Do it right: Rent a concrete saw. Saw cut and remove a chunk of
sidewalk/deck, do your repairs, put the dirt back and compact it
properly as you go, then place a couple of strips of bender-board as
expansion joints and re-pour the slab.

-- Bruce --

Very sage advice!!

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith
becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact
equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man
because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the
person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...
There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag,
the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the
English language.. and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people.'
Theodore Ro osevelt 1907