Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Booster pump for backwash cycle of whole-house filter

"scorpionleather" wrote in message
My brother in Vermont bought this nice Crystal Quest CQE-WH-01202
whole-house filter (iron/sulfur/manganese, see link below) but we're not
sure about whether he has enough water pressure for the backwash cycle and
what to do about it. I'd like to solve this before I fly down there next
week to help him hook up the plumbing connections.

The product page says proper backwash needs at least 14gpm. I had him do
a bucket test and he gets only 3gpm when measured from a higher floor
bath.

Is there some typically some adjustment on his existing pump for the water
pressure (I'm not familiar with well systems) and if so, why would it not
be turned to max already? Can we just install one of those water pressure
booster pumps that have the little attached tanks that sell for around
$500? Or would we also need to install a much larger water tank to go with
the booster pump? Did we get into a complex job or is this just a matter
of getting a couple more straightforward parts to complete the system?

He really wants the CQE-WH-01202 filter that he had shipped to his house.
He doesn't want a lesser capable unit even if it needs less backwash
pressure. So we'll try to get this one working..

http://crystalquest.com/Manganese,%2...r%20filter.htm

There is a pressure control on the well pump system which would be set for
standard household water pressure. As long as his well produces enough
water, or he has a large enough storage tank, you should be fine, provided
this filter doesn't require higher than standard pressure to operate