Posted to sci.electronics.repair
PeterD PeterD is offline

Default fix magnet distortion on TV/CRT screen ?

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 16:25:26 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 15:46:07 -0700, William Sommerwerck
wrote:

If you are *un*lucky, the little magnets are so strong that they
actually attracted and bent the shadow mask/wires when they
were held up to the front of the CRT. If this has happened,
degaussing probably won't eliminate the discoloration -- I don't
know of a remedy other than replacing the CRT itself.

There is a solution, which was discussed not long ago in this group.
My Sony WEGA had this problem, caused when I (deliberately) turned
off a bulk tape eraser near the CRT. The splotch lasted for years, but
disappeared "spontaneously" when the set was moved to my bedroom
in March.

Silly sod. All you had to do to reverse it was place the bulk tape
eraser 10' away from the TV, turn it on, approach the TV to the
distance you had it before, wave it around then BACK AWAY TO 10'
while waving it around before turning it off.

You obviously didn't see the discussion. I've been servicing electronic
equipment for 50 years, and know how to use a degausser.

This was not a case of magnetization, but a case of tangled Trinitron grille
wires. All the demagnetizing will not fix the problem. A mechanical jarring
is needed.

One person told us of the man on the Trinitron production line who banged
the CRTs with a rubber mallet as they passed.

yes, try to use the rubber mallet. It should work if the wires are not
too messed up.