Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting glazing

This question directed at any painters out there.

I'm painting a house where I had to do quite a bit of reglazing on the
windows, and am evaluating my painting technique, which seems less than
optimal in this department.

The old glazing was falling out in many places, so I did the following:

1. Clean channel (window & wood frame) w/wire brush, brush out dirt.
2. Prime.
3. Glaze. (and wait 7-10 days depending on weather)
4. Prime.
5. Paint.

Pain in the butt doing it this way, and it makes for a very long job,
but I want to do it right so it'll last.

Problem is cleaning up after painting. My preference has always been to
paint as carefully as possible without masking, then clean up afterwards
with a razor scraper. But it's that last operation that potentially
makes a mess. If I'm *really* careful, I can scrape a nice line along
the glazing--that is, until the blade careens off course and digs into
the nice clean bank of glazing. Another problem is how to get that strip
of paint off the window without slicing everything to shreds. Plus these
are 2nd story windows, and I'm already in a bad state of mind hanging
out there on the ladder and not inclined to be leisurely about it.

Ideally, the final coat of paint would be left untouched, so that the
edge of the paint seals the edge of the glazing to the glass. In
practice, however, I find this almost impossible to achieve. (Damn those
books and instructions that show how to make a perfect paint job!)

So how do you do it?