Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jj jj is offline

Default National Geographic Worlds Greatest Fixes (aka WTF :-)

This 3 dvd set caught my eye at me local library. It visits repair
sites for some pretty large work sites. (listed below)

It's okay. You see some pretty cool stuff and if you've got some
experience in one industrial area, you'll probably have a pretty good
time seeing how other "worlds" work and how they are different/same.
I'm glad I borrowed it and that tax dollars were used but I am not
sure I would consider it worth buying personally.

I'm so-so on the host. For some of the episodes he seems to have a
"largish" ego (or the program writers gave him one) and he seems "in
the way" for some of these tight knit teams. I guess they are also
putting a bit of the reality show (cancer!!!) twist on things too. (I
don't know much about reality shows 'cepting for the 1 episode of
"Dating in the Dark" ) Basically, I'm like "no way the work teams
would let the host be hands on in any critical stages."

I can't "for sure" say how realistic or "not" it is but in the 1st
episode, he basically brags about running his SCUBA tank empty twice.
I can only hope they did this for dramatic effect but he really came
up with ~500 psi left.

Anybody else seen this program and can comment on realism/accuracy?
I am enjoying the bearing/ways alignment for the nuclear turbine.

Episode list:

38 ton ducted/shrouded thruster on an oil rig

Boeing 767 pressure cap repair ($5.1 million repair due to a ~10" gash
from a parking booboo.

Nuclear turbine replacement

Cruise ship engine

High Voltage power line