Posted to uk.d-i-y
clot clot is offline

Default slighty rusty RSJ - rust stop paint ?

Roger R wrote:
"Dave Osborne" wrote in message

Just use red oxide primer like the steel suppliers do.

I don't have any of the product but...AFAIK...
The active ingredient of the paint formerly used for rust protection
of steel was lead oxide and because the oxide of lead is red in
colour the product was called red oxide paint. You would know a
tin of real lead oxide paint because it is extreemly heavy compared
to a similar sized tin of ordinary paint. However I think the sale
of real lead oxide paint has been banned for many years because of
the toxicity of lead oxide.
The safety data sheet on the product you listed doesn't mention lead
at all, so i take it there is no lead oxide in it, and the word lead
doesn't appear in the phrase 'Red Oxide Primer'.

Perhaps someone knows what the active rust protecting ingredient is?

Trimite Red Lead - now that takes me back a few years. It was used in a BS
standard for measuring the surface area of odd shaped articles. Weigh the
article dry (having been heated to 105C IIRC, dunk in the paint, allow to
drain and dry and then re-weigh. Then calculate the surface area based upon
the paint taken up.

I've still got some of the samples I dunked in 1974/5 in a bedroom upstairs.
Now I'm in a morose state. No wonder my children are stupid. What should I
do with these samples? Can I legally dispose of them. Have I committed a
crime retaining these samples? Answers, please!

Seriously, in answer to the OP, is there a need to paint the RSJ? If it will
not feature in the habitable space and will be in a dry concealed location,
why paint it?