Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default Belgian Block Curbing, Any tips?

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news ..
In article
,
wrote:

I'm going to get quotes on installing a few hundred feet of belgian
block curb, most of it will be along an existing asphalt driveway.
Location is NJ. Anyone that's had it done and has any tips to
share, things to watch out for, consider, etc I'd appreciate hearing
them.

I thought for sure you'd have replies by now. I guess none of know
what Belgian Block Curbing is.

We know what it is, but most of us don't have it installed too many
times in our life. I have some as a garden border, but that is a
different application.

Only advice I can give for having curbing installed, is to make sure
the contractor has a truck and shovel. .

At our previous home we had a walkway of ~12 feet from the sidewalk to
the front steps. It was concrete with an edge of Belgian blocks that
were about 4" square, sticking up about 2-3". If you have longer
stretches, I would think that expansion joints every so often wouldn't
hurt. Also, I would guess that de-icing salts would eventuallu be bad
for the joints. Finally, if this is for a driveway, you might want
support of some kind to prevent sideways pressure from moving the belgian
blocks.

As an aside, the Dutch term for these granite stones is "kinderhoofdjes",
or chlidrens' heads. Us Dutch are known as gentle folks.

--
Best regards
Han