Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

Default Newsgroup death spiral

"WangoTango" wrote ...
says...
GregS wrote:
"Ray L. Volts"wrote:
If a forum goes down, down goes the info. Newsgroups are archieved
by Google and that info can still be obtained.

Not really. Google even screwed that up like the screwed up everything
else.

The biggest problem with Google Groups, is that they are the source of
most (90+%) of the USENET spam. I filter ALL traffic from them and BAM
no more spammed groups. It means that I don't get to see legitimate
posts from GG, but that is a small price to pay for not have to dig
through the crap. Besides, a REAL newsgroup reader is either free, or
very cheap, why go through that crappy interface to begin with. You can
search the archives without posting from there.

At least when the archive/search functionality is working.
In my last several attempts, the archive and/or archive search
has been broken and completely unusable.

Google started out as the hero for taking over the DejaNews
Usenet archives. But they have managed to run it completely
into the ground and they are now the #1 villan of Usenet. :-((