Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Shoppa Tim Shoppa is offline

Default OT plastic issues

On Aug 13, 5:50*pm, "Gary Owens" wrote:
My mothers walker has 2 Teflon ski's on the rear legs. They last about 3
months (tennis balls last about a week). I don't mind buying new ones, but
looking at the worn ones, the only issue is the 1/4 inch of ware on the
bottom. Seeing I have some Teflon, and delron sitting on a shelf in the
shop, I wondered why can't I fix them, but what do I use to glue 2 pieces of
Teflon together ???

I think you're going way too hi-tech. Teflon is used in 400 degree
environments with nasty chemicals. Delrin, HDPE and wood seem more
appropriate.

I've worked in warehouses where HDPE skids wear out every couple of
months, but these continually have pallets weighing tons moving over
them. Your mom must walk a lot!

A high-tech upgrade for sliders and skids is this stuff called "Rulon
142". It's very expensive (and you might've though Teflon was
expensive). But I've seen it used in some high-tech machine tools and
it lasts forever (as far as I can figure out.)

Tim.