Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default connecting radiators using flexible hoses

In article
,
RobertL writes
Is there a reason why radiators shoud not be connected using flexible
hoses? I mean this kind of thing:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/15015/.../Flexible-Tap-
Connector-22mm-x-x-300mm

the radiator could then be removed from the wall (for cleaning behind
etc) without disconnecting anything.

maybe it is a bit OTT, but is there a law against it?

Yep, I've done that and they work and look just fine. If you decide you
don't like the look then you can cover them with split plastic radiator
pipe covers normally used on rigid pipe and remove those when you want
to move things.

I assume you intend remove the compression nut and olive from the
lockshield and TRV, and then apply the tap connector end to the exposed
thread. Be aware that this is not as nature intended as the compression
thread end may be sharp and cut into the rubber seal or be uneven,
putting you at risk of leaks. If you got this route, check the thread
ends aren't too sharp or file and lap them smooth first.

Also, it's a 15mm x 1/2" hose that you're looking for and I used longer
ones to make the underfloor work a bit easier and to give slack when
you're moving the rad about. Also [2], don't underestimate the weight of
a large rad full of water.

I used 1/2" x 15mm x 900mm which gives room for a healthy loop under the
floor before connection to rigid pipework, code 8097 from BES:
http://www.bes.co.uk/products/095a.asp
--
fred