Posted to uk.d-i-y
declan higgins declan higgins is offline

Default makita drill problem

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 19:01:35 -0500, dkh wrote:

about 80% of the time when switched to high speed (in drill,drive or
hammer action mod) the chuck spins but there is ZERO torque (you can
literally stop it with your hand). Fiddle with the speed switch for a
while and it works ok again...

Is that "speed switch" an electrical one or just attached to a gear
box? Whe you say "the chuck spins" do you mean you can rotate it
freely by hand or does it run up to normal speed by power but takes
no effort to stop. If you let the chuck go and retain power on does
it run back up or stay stopped? Are there any noises other than motor
whine?

Personally I'd be looking for a mechanical problem, clutch or gears
not engaging properly.

I think Dave is right - its a mechanical issue...
I took the drill apart - pretty scary... and it seems that the slider on
top moves a small "nipple" on the top of the gear housing...
The in turn moves a set of cogs in or out from low to high gear...

5 mins to take apart and about 45 mins to get back together.
I dont think I "fixed" anything to be honest but it seems a bit better
so perhaps i seated the slider on the switch a bit better.