Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default WTF with my computer clock?

In article ],
isw wrote:
It doesn't come "from" my ISP; more like "through" it. And if I have a
decent NTP client setup, my computer's clock (not the hardware, but the
software one the OS provides to applications) will run at *precisely*
the correct rate in the long term (the longer the term, the greater the
precision), and will provide the proper epoch within a couple of
microseconds or so -- maybe better. The rate be very, very close for
shorter intervals. The place where it will not do so well is with very
short measures because the jitter may be a bit high compared to, say, a
rubidium clock.

Dunno the actual process, but I have a radio controlled clock next to the
computer - and that always agrees as close as I can tell to the time
signal off analogue radio - but never *exactly* with the computer one. Of
course this could be some delay within the computer. I have two computers
here - an elderly RISC OS one and a newish PC, and it applies to both.

--
*The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.