Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default is it safe to dim a receptacle?

On Aug 13, 9:49*pm, ben wrote:
I have some lights in a rough space that are plug-in lights. *To power
them, last year I wired up a duplex receptacle high up by the
ceiling. *Power to that outlet is controlled by a single pole switch
at regular height.

Here's my question: is it ok to replace that switch with a dimmer?
Nothing else would ever be plugged into the outlet. *You can't even
reach it without an 8' ladder.

It's probably not code, but I have a receptacle controlled by a dimmer
for a floor lamp.

It is however, covered with something similar to this:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/lmnrgm

except that mine requires a screw driver to take off. Somebody would
have to really, really, *really* want to plug something else into this
receptacle.