Lowell Holmes

Default James Krenov and art furniture

Have you seen and touched any of his work? I saw several of his pieces as
well as Maloof's work at a museum in San Diego this summer. I was awe
struck. I didn't touch, but I could have if I had wanted to. The point is.
it was accessible to the point of being able to examine it closely.
One piece that I had never seen photo's of was a case that was hung on the
wall. The doors and joinery was perfection. His dovetails are perfect in
this piece.
He did things other than tables and chairs.

I've only seen photo's of Krenov's work. I would like to see them for real.

I also saw some Townsend - Goddard pieces this fall, and also the wood
workers at Williamsburg . . . . . . . We were invited to touch and examine
their work. One had an inlayed harpsichord under construction, all by hand
tools.

"Noons" wrote in message
u...
"Dick Durbin" wrote in message

om...

Nakashima for example does not do as much for me. His chair is mostly
impractical unless you have a huge room. And I suspect it won't
"wobble" properly. Although obviously stunning. All his other creations
remind me of someone grabbing a lump of wood, polishing one side and

calling
it finished. Nevertheless, it's still very well executed stuff and I wish
I could "polish one side" as well as he does!

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto