Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default WTF with my computer clock?

In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:

I reckon that TV companies must now use these laptops with very rough RTCs !
Have you noticed that now programme material is not networked from one
region into some or all of the others, and adverts are no longer 'local',
there is not any need for accurate cueing points around the network, so
advertised starting times are not even nodded at ? I checked the starting
times of about half a dozen programmes tonight, using the teletext clock,
which I believe to be accurate, and not a single one started within 1 minute
of the correct time, and a couple of them were off by several minutes. Just
another manifestation of declining standards throughout the civilised world
... :-\

At least some of that starting-time error seems to be a deliberate
policy by the stations/networks. By de-synchronizing a network's
start times from those of its competitors, the network can make
channel-surfing less attractive to the viewer... by the time you
finish watching a show on that network, the shows on the other
networks have already started and you'd miss something by surfing away.

It's a frightful bother who use DVRs and VCRs to time-shift programs...
losing the first or last minute of a show is quite common.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO