Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default OT plastic issues

Gerry wrote:
On Aug 13, 4:50 pm, "Gary Owens" wrote:
My mothers walker has 2 Teflon ski's on the rear legs. They last about 3
months (tennis balls last about a week). I don't mind buying new ones, but
looking at the worn ones, the only issue is the 1/4 inch of ware on the
bottom. Seeing I have some Teflon, and delron sitting on a shelf in the
shop, I wondered why can't I fix them, but what do I use to glue 2 pieces of
Teflon together ???

Gary

I put wheels on the front of my Mom's walker. You need something that
will not roll on the back to keep the walker from slipping out from
under the user. The tennis balls lasted over a year on her walker. In
your case, I think I'd consider making some UHMW poly pieces that
would extend up inside the legs, with a series of holes in them so
they could be extended down as they wear out. BTW, I have seen walkers
with wheels on all four legs. These used a hand brake, simular to a
bicycle's brake to lock the front wheels. These had two levers, just
like a bicycle, one on each side so the person could easily reach them
as they were walking. If someone is in bad shape and really needs a
walker, I wonder if they are capable of using the brake levers, though.

How about spring loaded wheels and the skids?
For the skids how about making the new skids thicker than stock and
larger as well. Just cut down the legs to match the new thickness.
Or build a power chair....

--
Steve W.