Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default replacing electrical plugs

"Goog" wrote in message
I bought an old condo after moved out from my parents' house. I would
like to replace all almond-color electrical plugs with white plugs.
The plug and the cover are pretty cheap at HD.

I pulled out one and it doesn't seem too complicate but I'm not sure.
What do I need to know before I will give it a shot?

You advice is greatly appreciated.

Angela

I'm sure a google search will give you pictures and descriptions of how to
do this. Other than the basic mechanics of stripping the wire and looping
the end around the screw in the direction so that tightening the screw,
closes your loop of your wire, white wires go to silver screws and colored
wires go to brass screws, green or bare wires go to green grounding screws,
you need to be conscious of any outlets that are controlled by a wall
switch. Often when this is done, half the outlet remains live, and half is
controlled by the switch. The wiring scheme looks the same as any other
daisy-chained outlet, except there is a small brass tab on the "hot" side of
the outlet, that must be cut first. If it's not cut, the switch will have no
affect on the outlets it should control. Also, be aware that there may be
other wires in the outlet box, that are not attached to the outlet. These
may be from another circuit and may be alive, leave them alone