Posted to alt.home.repair
blueman blueman is offline

Default lawn edger

Rick Brandt writes:

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 17:49:40 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:

I'm just a little worried because most of what I have to edge is asphalt
drive. Didn't think about it until after I started the thread, but would
the blade of a real edger eat the asphalt away?

Doubtful. What you hear is the *side* of the blade scraping the
pavement. It's not the cutting edge.

The only thing I might be concerned with an asphalt sidewalk is that
often the edge is not as straight or as well-defined as concrete which
typically is made in a wooden form.

For asphalt, that makes it a little harder to define and follow the
edges. Also the asphalt may thin out considerably towards the edges
leaving it weak and irregular.

This could leave it more vulnerable to damage from a blade -- no
guarantees, just be cautious...