Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default WTF with my computer clock?

If you are the
telephone company, or a television broadcaster, though, things really do
work a lot better when the digital signals carried by your network all
are at precisely the same bitrate, no matter where they come from.

Right. At one time TV stations etc had their own accurate pulse generator
referenced to the national standard. Here in the UK it was IIRC from the
National Physics Laboratory.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

I reckon that TV companies must now use these laptops with very rough RTCs !
Have you noticed that now programme material is not networked from one
region into some or all of the others, and adverts are no longer 'local',
there is not any need for accurate cueing points around the network, so
advertised starting times are not even nodded at ? I checked the starting
times of about half a dozen programmes tonight, using the teletext clock,
which I believe to be accurate, and not a single one started within 1 minute
of the correct time, and a couple of them were off by several minutes. Just
another manifestation of declining standards throughout the civilised world
.... :-\

Arfa