Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT plastic issues

"Gary Owens" fired this volley in
g.com:

My mothers walker has 2 Teflon ski's on the rear legs. They last

about
3 months (tennis balls last about a week). I don't mind buying new
ones, but looking at the worn ones, the only issue is the 1/4 inch

of
ware on the bottom. Seeing I have some Teflon, and delron sitting on

shelf in the shop, I wondered why can't I fix them, but what do I

use
to glue 2 pieces of Teflon together ???

Gary

Gary, you don't, unless the teflon has been chemically treated to
accept glue. You'd recognize it as such, since one side of the sheet
would have a clearly "coated" look with a medium brown substance that
appeared to have been painted on with a squeegee.

DelrIn is more resistant to abrasion than teflon, and still has a very
slippery character -- it would probably be the better material for a
high-abuse skid -- either that or UHMW polyethylene, which is not
quite as tough, but WORLDS tougher that PTFE (Teflon).

Why not "re-design" the ski a bit, so you can rivet the plastic to the
metal, like a brake pad or shoe is rivetted to its backing.

LLoyd